The creation of application programs is web application development. The applications are based on remote servers, then transferred to the users. The user gets the applications with the help of the internet. The applications are accessed with the help of a web browser. They are used to perform a wide range of tasks. The tasks may include e-commerce, data management, social networking, and more.
What is a Web Application?
What is the difference between a Web App and a Website?
- A website is built on a platform that only the creator or developer can change. However, a web application is interactive and built on a platform that permits user data to inform iterations of the application. Web applications might be part of an established website or built as freestanding applications as they are a collection of HTML documents.
- Web applications are delivered over a network and are connected to a database. On the other hand, the principal purpose of traditional websites is to deliver information to the user. The information could be in the form of text or video. A web application permits its interaction with the client’s requests to deliver various potential outcomes.
- Web applications are defined by their input. Data is created, updated, and deleted within an application. In comparison, websites are defined by their output. This may include reading news, FAQs, or information on the website.
- A web application development is dynamic and designed for user engagement compared to websites with static content.
- Web applications mostly require authentication as compared to websites. Authentication is not obligatory for websites.
How to develop a Web Application?
Web application development is different from the software development life cycle. A great team and well-defined procedures are required to drive successful development. However, to give an overview of the development process following, seven steps need to be followed:
Define your problem:
Identifying why you want consumers to use your web app is essential in developing web applications. People come up with excellent ideas all the time. It’s necessary to clarify that your idea is worth implementing. It should provide clever solutions to an existing issue.
Plan your workflow:
A workflow is necessary for a systematic organization. It can help in various aspects of your web application development. You should know what your app will consist of and how to meet those requirements using your resource. The workflow should be both business-oriented and technical. Algorithms should be created that will help move your development forward. The time frame should be adjusted accordingly for the web app development to be completed.
Prototype your Web Application:
In simple words, prototyping can be defined as building an incomplete yet functional application. This helps to understand better what the final product might look like. A prototype can be a wireframe, mockup, or functional version of the application with limited features. Prototyping aims to identify and address any potential issues or problems. The issues are identified early in the development process.
Validate Your Prototype:
The objective is to make the prototype impressive enough to give the validation required to continue the project. The thing needed to achieve is the interest of the people. People should be interested in what you have in store. For this purpose, the prototype should be presented to potential users.
Build Your Website
Research the software and data you have to build your app. At this point, the focus should be on front-end and back-end frameworks and technologies. After gathering all the data and tools, it’s time to start developing.
Test Your Website
Testing and monitoring are essential parts of any project. The testing of the app goes without saying. Most of the software development teams administer tests throughout the software development life cycle. It is necessary to ensure that each iteration of your web app is bug-free. Software quality assurance is similarly an essential part of building a web application development. This should happen before the app is released to the public.
Host & Launch Your Web Apps
The next step is to launch your web application. A web server should be used to host a web application In the same fashion as a website. To put the web app into action, purchasing a domain name and a hosting provider on the cloud is required.
3 Types of Web Applications:
Different web apps with different behaviors are present depending on how they are built. All these web application types use web technologies. However, they generally fall under the categories of the following three types:
- Client-Side Web Applications
- Server-Side Web Applications
- Single Page Applications
Client-Side Web Applications:
Client side Web Applications focus on front end development. The main focus of these types of apps is the User Interface (UI). The main priority will be UX and will bring users high-performance levels. There is little to no buffering while loading a page. This makes the page remarkably responsive.
Server-Side Web Applications:
The focus of such apps is on the Back end. The back end deals with the development of databases, application programming interfaces (APIs), and servers. Other background processes in an application are also related to the Back end. Server Side Web Applications service better with static content. It takes time for the web browser to send a request and wait for an answer. However, these applications are more secure. Server Side Web Applications provide more browser compatibility than Client Side Web Applications.
Single Page Applications:
Tools to develop Web Applications:
There are many tools available for developing web applications, including:
- Text Editors: Text editors are simple programs allowing developers to edit and write code. Examples include Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, and Atom.
- Front-end Frameworks: These are collections of pre-written code that help developers quickly build and structure the user interface. Examples include Materialize, Foundation, and Bootstrap.
- Back-end Frameworks: This pre-written code helps developers quickly build and structure the server-side logic of a web application. Examples include Django Rails, Express.js, and Ruby.
- Integrated Development Environments (IDEs): IDEs are more advanced text editors. These come with additional features such as debugging, code highlighting, and version control. Examples include Eclipse, Visual Studio, and IntelliJ IDEA.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Web Application
The advantages and disadvantages of a Web Application are as follows:
- Accessibility: Web applications can be accessed from any device with a web browser and internet connection. This makes them highly accessible to users. Web applications are multiplatform. They allow the user to access the application from any computer, tablet, or mobile device.
- Automatic updates: Web applications can be updated automatically. This helps the user consistently access the latest features and bug fixes.
- Speed and Cost: Developing and maintaining a web application is generally less expensive than developing and maintaining a traditional desktop application. Web app development is faster and more economical than native apps.
- Scalability: Web applications can easily handle increasing users and transactions. This makes them suitable for businesses that expect to grow.
- Increased Security: Experienced server administrators constantly monitor and manage web applications. This ensures increased security and identifies any potential threats that could slip off.
Web applications also have some cons. Some of them are as follows:
- Reduced Speed: Web applications are slower than mobile apps, even with all the advantages. They will operate a bit slower than an application hosted on a local server.
- Internet connection: A web application requires an internet connection to function. This can be problematic for users in areas with poor connectivity.
- Browser compatibility: Web applications must be designed to work with multiple web browsers. This can be a challenge for developers.
- Limited functionality: Some complex features may be more difficult or impossible to implement in a web application than in a desktop application.
Tool of Web Applications
Web applications are built by the combination of front end and back end. Many web applications are available, each with unique features and functionality. Some examples of Web applications include:
- Content Management Systems (CMS): These web-based platforms allow users to create and manage website content, such as text, images, and videos. Examples include Joomla, Drupal, and WordPress,
- E-commerce Platforms: These applications allow businesses to sell products and services online. Examples include Magento, Shopify, and WooCommerce.
- Social Media Platforms: These web applications allow users to connect and share information with others. Examples include LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Google Doc: Google Docs is a free, web-based word processing program that Google offers. It allows the user to edit, create, and share documents online. Google Docs is part of the Google Drive suite of online productivity tools, including Google Sheets, Google Slides, and Google Forms.
- Business Intelligence Tools: The purpose of Business Intelligence Tools is to provide data visualization, analytics, and reporting for business users. Examples include Looker PowerBI and Tableau.
- Project Management Tools: These are designed to help teams collaborate and manage tasks, projects, and deadlines. Examples include Asana, Trello, and Basecamp.
- Online Learning Platforms: These web applications provide online courses and resources for students and educators. Examples include Coursera, Udemy, and edX.
Web application development is a software program used to design, create and maintain websites. The application provides a user-friendly interface and tools for building and editing web pages. It includes features such as text and image editors, code highlighting, and debugging tools. Web developers and designers use them to quickly and easily create and edit websites. The purpose is to ensure that the sites built are compatible with different web browsers and devices. Mobile app development companies are also commonly used by non-technical users, such as business owners and content creators. They use it to create and manage their websites.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Q No.1 What is web application development?
Answer: Web application development refers to the process of creating software applications that run on web browsers.
Q No.2 What are the 3 types of web applications?
Answer: The three types of web applications are:
- Static Web Applications
- Dynamic Web Applications
- Single-Page Applications (SPAs)
Q No.3 What is an example of web app development?
Answer: An example of web app development is creating a social media platform where users can connect, share content, and interact with each other online.
Q No.4 What language is used for web applications?
Answer: Several programming languages can be used for web application development. Here are some commonly used languages:
Q No.5 What are the 5 common types of website?
Answer: The five common types of websites are:
- Informational Websites
- E-commerce Websites
- Social Networking Websites
- Portfolio Websites
- Blogging Websites:
Q No.6 What is an HTML web application?
Answer: An HTML web application refers to a web application that is primarily built using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) for creating the structure and content of web pages.
Q No.8 Which software is used by WhatsApp?
Answer: WhatsApp uses Ejabberd (XMPP) server which facilitates instant message transfer between two or many users on a real-time basis
Q No.9 What are the basics of web application?
Answer: The basics of a web application involve several key components which are as follows:
- User Interface (UI)
- Front-end Development
- Back-end Development
- Databases and Data Management
- Web Servers and Hosting
- Testing and Debugging
- Deployment and Maintenance
Q No.10 Is the Facebook app a web application?
Answer: Yes, Facebook offers a web version accessible through web browsers, which is considered a web application
Q No.11 Which website is most used?
Answer: The top websites listed in the “Top Websites Ranking” lists published monthly by Similarweb, as of April 2023, is Google Search.
Q No.12 How can I build a website?
Answer: To build a website, you can follow these general steps:
- Define your goals
- Plan your website structure
- Choose a platform or content management system (CMS)
- Register a domain name
- Choose a hosting provider
- Design your website
- Develop and add content
- Customize functionality
- Test and optimize
- Launch your website
- Maintain and update