One of the most popular programming languages is Python, with almost 28% market share. Well known platforms like Google and Netflix use Python framework for web development. Python web development framework is a collection of different modules. With Python framework for web development, it’s easy to interrupt requests, produce responses, and persistently store data.
According to the Popularity of Programming Language Index, the popularity of Python increased by 8.7%. There are three main types of Python framework for web development:
- Full-Stack Framework
- Asynchronous Framework
This article will discuss the best Python framework for web development.
Best Python Frameworks For Web Development
Some of the best Python framework for web development are as follows:
Django is a Python framework for web development which allows rapid and secure development of websites. It is an open source Python framework for backend development, which is simple and reliable. Django has an admin panel, which is easier to work with than Laravel. It also provides a CRUD interface that describes basic database commands. Some of the main features of Django are as follows:
- Has a simple syntax with its web server.
- Follows the Model ViewController (MVC) core architecture.
- Consists of HTTP libraries, Middleware support, and a Python unit test framework.
- Django is a (Object Relational Mapper (ORM)
- Allows the developers to use pre existing codes so they don’t have to write from scratch
- Django has the best security system, so developers don’t have to worry about common issues.
Another Python framework for web development is AIOHTTP, which relies on Python 3.5+ features. It’s an HTTP client/server for asyncio, which allows to write for asynchronous clients and servers. AIOHTTP is used as a foundation for multiple Python asynchronous frameworks.
The framework provides high level performance networks and database connection libraries. AIOHTTP provides a request object and a router for redirecting queries to functions. Some of the main features of AIOHTTP, a Python framework for web development, are as follows:
- Developers can effectively build the views and also offer middleware support.
- Features signals as well as Pluggable routing.
- Supports both Server WebSockets along with Client WebSockets without Callback Hell.
- AIOHTTP is an asynchronous framework which uses Python’s asyncio library.
TurboGears is a Python framework for web development that creates database driven and ready to extend apps. The TurboGears is a full stack web application framework for Python that can simplify AJAX app development with its widget system.
Along with this, TurboGears also features intelligible templating. Using different components like Genshi, WebOb, etc, TurboGears can quickly develop apps requiring database connectivity. Key features of TurboGears are as follows:
- Features MVC web framework with ORM and also supports horizontal data partitioning.
- All of the features are implemented as function decorators
- Provides multi database support as well
- Widget system for simplifying AJAX app development.
- Pylons are used as a web server
- Has accessible command line tools
CubicWeb is a full stack framework that Logilab developed. The full stack Python framework works differently as compared to other frameworks. It’s a free and open source framework in which the application is organized in cubes.
These multiple cubes are joined together to create an instance with the help of some databases, configuration files, or web servers. The role of the cube is to define how the data will be structured, viewed, and controlled. The framework also features reusable components and a query language. CubicWeb has multiple features, some of which are as follows:
- Features a selection+view mechanism.
- Provides Web Ontology Language (OWL) and Resource Description Framework support (RDF).
- Follows object oriented design principles.
- Includes a library of reusable components so developers don’t have to start from scratch.
- Can simplify data related queries with the help of Relational Query Language embedding
- Provides support for multiple databases.
Another Python framework for web development is CherryPy, which debuted in June 2002. CherryPy is an object oriented Python framework which follows a minimalistic approach. This is one of the oldest frameworks, so many of the Python developers are familiar with it.
The object oriented HTTP framework supports web servers like IIS, Apache, etc. Using the CherryPy Python framework, users can launch multiple HTTP servers simultaneously. Main features of one of the most popular Python framework for web development, CherryPy, are as follows:
- CherryPy features its own multi threaded web server
- No Apache server is required for running apps that are built using CherryPy
- Multiple tools are present for encoding, static content, and much more.
- Also provides a builtin plugin system
- Multiple HTTP servers can be run simultaneously
- Features a powerful system for configuration
Falcon is a microframework python framework for web development that allows web APIs to rapidly build. The framework is used for small applications, high level frameworks, and application backends. Falcon is one of the fastest frameworks that Hurricane Electric, OpenStack, Wargaming, and others use.
Other frameworks require a lot of dependencies for building HTTP APIs. With the help of Falcon, it’s easy for the developers to build cleaner designs, allowing HTTP and REST architectures. Main features of Falcon are as follows:
- Falcon aims for 100% code coverage.
- Unit testing with WSGI helpers and mocks
- Extra speed because of Cython support
- Provides DRY request processing with the help of middleware components and hooks
- Highly optimized as well as extensible codebase
The best Python framework for web development is Bottle, which allows to create a single source file for the apps built using Bottle. It’s a simple and fast microframework which can be used to build small applications. With Bottle framework request dispatching routes with URL-parameter support, and a built in HTTP server is possible.
The framework also features adapters for third party servers and template engines. With the Bottle Python framework, developers can work closely with the hardware. For building small web applications. The framework does not require any dependencies except Python Standard Library. Main features of the Bottle framework are as follows:
- Features adapter support for WSGI/HTTP server and template engine.
- Dynamic URL routes for mapping with the help of simplified syntax.
- Provides a built in template engine and HTTP server
- Simple access from cookies, file uploads, and other HTTP metadata
- Speed optimization for high performance
Flask is another Python web development framework inspired by the Sinatra ruby framework. The microframework flask is available under the BSD license. The framework provides a built in development server and unit testing support. Flask python framework relies on the Werkzeug WSGI toolbox and Jinja2 template.
The framework is adaptable because of its modular design. With the help of the Flask framework, developers can easily create a solid foundation for web applications. The Flask framework is best for building small and simple apps. The main features of the flask framework are as follows:
- Flask is compatible with Google App Engine.
- Unicode enabled with RESTful request dispatching and WSGI compliance.
- Using SQLAlchemy, developers can operate the database the way they want.
- Supports secure cookies for establishing client side sessions
- Has a built in fast debugger
Giotto is another full stack Python framework for web development that is based on the Model View Controller (MVC) pattern. The framework allows developers, designers, and sysadmins to work independently. The framework separates the Model, View, and Controller elements in an order.
With the help of the Giotto framework, users can create applications on Internet Relay Chat), the top of the web, and the command line. Main features of the popular framework Giotto are as follows:
- Features functional Create, Read, Update, and Delete (CRUD) operations
- Giotto also provides automatic URL routing
- Multiple pluggable controllers are present
- Database persistence with the help of SQLAlchemy
- Provides generic models and views
Hug is a Microframework python framework for web development. It simplifies the API development process with the help of multiple interfaces. Developers can build the API once and then can use it anywhere. In Python 3, the Hug framework is the fastest web framework.
Whether it’s local development or on HTTP, the framework allows to easily complete the development of applications. The framework supports API versions as well as API documentation. Main features of the Hug Python framework are as follows:
- Consumes the resources only when required, and Cython is used for compilation.
- Supports annotation powered validation
- Developers build API once and then use it anywhere they want
- Stands for Hopefully Useful Guide and allows developers to create well written and intuitive APIs.
- Contains little code and integrations, which provides greater performance
To conclude, choosing the right Python framework for web development makes all the difference. Among so many options available, the article explains the best Python frameworks. Django, renowned for its simplicity, stands out as an open source powerhouse. AIOHTTP uses Python’s asynchronous capabilities, delivering high-performance networking and database connections. TurboGears simplifies database driven applications, while CubicWeb organizes applications into cubes.
CherryPy provides versatility, and Falcon excels in rapidly building web APIs. Bottle’s simplicity shines in creating small applications. Flask offers adaptability and compatibility with Google App Engine. Giotto adopts the MVC pattern for a structured approach. In comparison, Hug simplifies API development with its performance-oriented design. As Python continues to evolve, these frameworks empower developers to create innovative web applications efficiently and effectively.